Support This Program
Please consider a donation of any amount to support Shakespeare in Prison!
Your donation of any amount will make you an active participant in a program that provides a place for members of our community to reconnect with their humanity and learn to gain empathy for all people. This is a boon to everyone when the participants leave the facility and return home.
There is no state funding for this program - funding is entirely dependent on grants and donations from generous organizations and individuals
Program costs include:
- Printed and bound scripts. As changes are made and members of the group are added, additional scripts are needed, and the cost adds up fast.
- Grant writing, a very time-intensive task.
- Gathering costumes and scenic supplies. Many are donated, but some must be purchased or rented.
- Reasonable compensation for Frannie and the team of co-facilitators. Each person drives up to 200 miles per week to and from the facility.
The current budget calls for the program director (who oversees all aspects of program administration, including on-site facilitation) to be compensated reasonably, for an assistant director and costume coordinator to be paid reasonable stipends, and for co-facilitators to be paid small stipends to offset costs associated with their work.
... or mail your donation to:
Detroit Public Theatre
1401 Vermont Street, #179
Detroit, MI 48216
We also have a wish list of in-kind donations that are more than welcome! This list will evolve as we determine specific needs for each play, but here's what we're hankering for at the moment:
- Plain white paper (for scripts and hand outs)
- A binding machine for our scripts.
- Gift cards to Home Depot and/or Lowe's
- Shakespeare-related resources; i.e., books and DVDs.
- A spare iPod, charger and cord (we can use this to play music during performances in case the one we have breaks, which is what happened in 2014!)
- Costumes. If you've got costumes you think are appropriate for Shakespeare, we'll take 'em! Certain restrictions apply, so please use the form below to contact us before you send anything!